Saturday, August 22, 2009

Has it been that long??

I was recently reminded by a good friend that I do have a blog post, it has been well over a month since I have posted anything. The truth is I have been writing, just not here. Oh, before anyone gets distraught, I thought I heard a resounding gasp out there, I do not have any other blogs out there. So to the tens of people reading this around the world, calm down.



OK, funny and true story. I recently visited my grandparents the other day and it reminded me of a story about my grandfather. For three and a half years I worked in Raleigh, from '04-'07. I would frequently visit my grandparents and spend a lot of time on their farm. When the season was in I would hunt when the season was out I would work or just mess around. This day I was "messing" around with a .22 rifle and saw a carpenter bee hovering about 10 yards away. I raised my rifle and waited for the bee to hover into my cross-hairs and fired....spilt the bee in half. I half to admit I was feeling pretty good.
Thinking it may be a fluke I returned a few weeks later and missed every bee I shot at. While this was going on my grandfather was bush hogging around the farm. (that is cutting grass with a really big mower, for those of you north of the Granville Co. line)
He finished and slowly walked over with this "what the hell are you doing?" look on his face. I explained the earlier kill of the bee and my desire to prove that I could do it again. "Oh." was his reply. He then noticed a bee hovering beside his head. With the speed of a ninja, this 85 year old man jerked his hat from his head, slapped the bee to the ground, and stepped on it. He then placed the hat back on his head and said, "And my way is quieter."
I put the gun in its case and never fired another shot. We then sat under the old stick barn and talked for the better part of the afternoon. A good day.
That one is for you Barb.

No comments:

Post a Comment