Sunday, April 4, 2010

My right arm man






I know this title is a little misleading, we have all heard the expression, "my right hand man." This post takes me back to what General Robert E. Lee said upon learning of the death of "Stonewall" Jackson. He said, "I feel as if I have lost my right arm."




I have had to deal with that feeling, this time of year reminds me of it. I was watching The Ten Commandments last night and it reminded me of the right arm that I lost over six years ago. He was a Golden Retriever named Moses. The first time I watched that movie with him he perked up when he heard Yule Brenner say, in his famous tone, "Moses." Funny stuff.




The only thing that dog did not do was talk to me, he was the best.




I can also remember a funny story years ago. I was living in Greenville and a buddy of mine was in town for the night. The girl I was dating at the time wanted to go to Bojangles and get everyone breakfast. Moses was always ready for a ride and I suggested that she take him along. Well she took my truck with a pretty big order; 2 chicken biscuits, an egg-bo biscuit, a cheese biscuit, 3 orders of hash rounds, and 3 large sweet teas. Well the Bojangles she was going to was about ten minutes away. After thirty minutes I was a little worried. At that point she walked in the door with one chicken biscuit and one sweet tea, she slammed the bag down on the coffee table and exclaimed, "Ya'll are gonna have to split this f*@#ing biscuit!"




I walked outside and got the whole story.




Out of that whole order, she was shorted a chicken biscuit so she went back inside to get it. She said she was inside for no more than two minutes and upon her return Moses had eaten a chicken biscuit, an egg-bo biscuit, a cheese biscuit, all three orders of hash rounds, and had popped the lid off of a tea and was drinking it!




Needless to say I spent about thirty dollars at Bojangles that morning.




He was the best, but life has a way of working itself out. I am typing this with a little Beagle rolled up beside me and she is trying hard to take his place. The other night at work she stuck her head inside a discarded box of Bojangles chicken. Her head got stuck and she was running across the parking lot with the box covering her head.




That one did not cost me a dime.




No comments:

Post a Comment