Saturday, March 27, 2010

Generation gap

I have no problem getting old, I mean, what is the big deal? Everyone gets a day older every day. I have had the opportunity, through my many career choices, to work with people who are much younger than me. And over the years I have worked with some interesting people. I have also developed some special relationships with some great people. I have mentioned in earlier posts that I once owned a restaurant. When I finally pulled the trigger and closed the joint there were five people working for me. Now most people look at a failed business venture as exactly that, a failure. I choose not to and I'll explain why. I still keep in contact with them, I have attended some of their weddings. Knowing that they still think enough of me to share their most special day, well, how can that be a failure?
There have been some very funny moments which is the point of this post. The looks that I have gotten after some comments were priceless. I remember telling my staff one day that I was thirteen years old when we got cable tv. I bet dinosaur bones have not been looked at that way. The conversation took place one day about taking a date to a movie and then turned into every ones first movie date. When I said that mine was Top Gun, a girl asked, "That movie was in theatres?" The best had to be the day a new kid named Josh was making a delivery. He backed his hatch-back to the front door and we loaded him up. When he closed the trunk I noticed the Led Zepplin sticker on his window. It immediately reminded me of the line from Fast Times at Ridgemont High, "All you have to do is put in side two of Led Zepplin four and she's all yours." Now that may not be the exact quote but his reaction was priceless.
"What does side two mean?"
I then realized that CDs have only one side and my reply, "Just forget it." Last I heard he was living in the Bahamas playing the guitar, he is a hell of a guitar player.
We all get older and you never know when someone may be looking to you for advice. That's when I just listen. You shouldn't be surprised but if you sit and listen long enough everyone will tell you everything. That may be when you relate a personal story or just give advice that you think is right. We may not all have children but you never know when you might have to be a parent. I have an advantage in that department, the sun rises and sets on my parents, they're good.
And if you're my age and want a funny reaction, just tell someone who is much younger than you, how much you paid for a gallon of gas when you were in high school. Sixty-five cents for a gallon of regular, that's right there used to be this stuff called regular (leaded) gasoline.
My staff asked me one time what my first job was. When I told told them it was driving a slide of tobacco using a mule in Granville County, well I think you can guess the outcome of that one.

1 comment:

  1. haha! i just read this. cool man! where is josh these days?

    ReplyDelete